Easy Ethereal Popovers
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the pan
2 large eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
For all the vegans out there, here's a recipe I've adapted from the PPK forum. These popovers end up with nicely risen domed tops (not crazy-tall popover towers) and have many steam pockets inside instead of one large one, but the texture and taste are de
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chickpea flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
pinch of tumeric
1/2 of a 14 oz. block tofu, pressed
1 3/4 cups soymilk
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons nondairy butter, melted
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease muffin tin.
Whisk together dry ingredients and set aside. In a blender or food processor, blend the tofu until smooth, then add the milk, water, and butter and blend until creamy and no bits of tofu remain.
Pour the tofu-milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until batter is thick and smooth.
Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full and bake at 450 for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. The popovers should be golden and their tops firm to the touch.
Let cool on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes, then dig in.
I just had the popovers at BLT steak and they made me cry, they were so good. Fortunately, they give you the recipe alongside your tasty treat:
Serves six (approximately twelve popovers)
4 c. milk, warmed
4 c. flour
1 ½ heaping tbsp. salt
2 ¼ c. grated gruyere
1. Place the popover pan in the oven. Heat the oven and pan to 350º.
2. Gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside.
3. Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk in the milk (so as not to cook the eggs). Set the mixture aside.
4. Sift the flour with the salt. Slowly add this dry mixture to the egg mixture and gently combine until mostly smooth.
5. Remove the popover pan from the oven and spray with nonstick vegetable spray.
6. While the batter is still slightly warm, fill each popover cup three-fourths full.
7. Top each popover with approximately 2 ½ tbsps. of the grated cheese.
8. Bake at 350º for 50 minutes, rotating pan half a turn after fifteen minutes, until the popovers are golden brown.
9. Take out of oven, remove from pan, and serve immediately.